Stalled development project? Or old software that fails to perform?
All too often we hear of software projects that are running into trouble, stalled or that have been abandoned entirely.
It is unfortunately more common than it should be, and can happen for a number of reasons, including:
- Running over budget or missing delivery milestones
- Lack of clarity around requirements resulting in a product that is not fit for purpose
- Day to day operational pressures taking precedence on project resources
- A disagreement or dispute between the customer and supplier
- Loss of a key stakeholder with no replacement to fill the gap
Whatever the cause, a struggling or failed development project can have far wider implications for the future of the business than the obvious short term financial one.
Failure to deliver a key strategic software project can mean loss of market innovation, increased costs of production or lack of competitiveness for the business involved.
Making sure old systems don’t hold you back
Moving away from established legacy systems and software is not always feasible. It may be just a timing issue, replacement may be cost prohibitive or perhaps they are so integrated within the business infrastructure that finding the time and impetus to change is a daunting prospect.
Whatever the reason for retaining legacy systems, it is important to ensure that they continue to benefit the business. This can be achieved through ongoing support and development or simply ensuring effective integration with new processes and systems being introduced.
How we can support legacy software
At Evergreen we can provide a range of support for your old software system.
We can undertake an initial assessment of your current processes to help you ascertain the limitations of your existing systems and identify gaps in your requirements that are not being fully supported.
We can then create a programme of support and development to maintain your existing arrangements and, over time, bridge the gaps, either through enhancements to your existing software or through the development of, and integration with, new systems.
If required, we can then work with you to plan the replacement of current legacy software so that data and process flows are maintained. This can all be planned and delivered on a phased basis to spread not only the cost but the time drain on internal resources as well as prevent the risks of business interruption.
Improved Case Management System for Sensitive Data
Southside were using an ageing case management system which provided insubstantial information. In order to win their next contract with the local council Southside needed to produce reports on casework and other data.
To modify Southside’s case management system to achieve the following:
- Better reporting to comply with legislation
- Re-hosting via an Evergreen hosting platform
- An improved way of storing data
- An improved ability to search for an update data, including access to historical casework activity
- To enhance the system’s usability
- To make major security improvements including adding encryption and anti-virus protection
Don’t be trapped by legacy software
If you have a legacy system that needs support or is no longer fit for purpose don’t let it hold your business back. Contact Evergreen today to find out how we can help to ensure it remains an effective business tool.